St Mary’s Church in Ellesmere Shropshire is an historic building, The South chapel dates back to the early 14th century and the tower dated between 1439 and 1449.
In the 1840’s the St Mary’s church was altered and restored by George Gilbert Scott, he replaced nave restored the transepts and included a stair turret to the South transept.
In 1883 the South chancel chapel was restored by Arthur Blomfield and the East wall of the chancel and East window was reconstructed by J. Loughborough Pearson in 1887, Pinnacles were added to the Tower in 1904.
St Mary’s Church is made from sandstone with slate roofs and is clearly visible from many places in Ellesmere.
In the St Mary’s churchyard is a sundial dated 1726, it is made of stone and is vase shaped standing on a two tier base, it carries a stone basin with a bronze dial this sundial is listed as grade 2.